Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Artist of the Month- Earl Chuvarsky

 Mosey on over to Buffalo Exchange @ the Annex to see some stellar art by Earl Chuvarsky!! His paintings will decorate our walls till the end of October!




-How would you describe your style of art?
I work mainly in three loosely related styles, so I've always just said "I make pretty things." But I would best describe my work as a mixture of Abstract Expressionism, Post-Graffiti, and Pop Surrealism. I'm basically a trained artist that walks the razors edge between fine art and low-brow goodness.

-Can you tell me about your creative process?
Art should be accessible to everyone so most of my work focuses on the figurative to examine the human condition and reveal what drives us all at our very core: love, gratification, rejection, death, curiosity, selfishness, guilt, and acceptance. I favor painting from memory over using photo references or live models so my art comes from real places, not just concepts or ideas. My whole goal is to break down the walls between myself and the viewer to have my work speak as frankly as I would with friends. I really enjoy just letting go and allowing my technical training and subconscious to work in tandem to explore how what is going on in my life translates through art.

-What motivates you to create?
It's my dream. You know how when you're a little kid everyone asks you what you want to be when you grow up? I always answered "a paleontologist or a cartoonist." Being an artist is pretty darn close.

-Do you have a strong purpose or goal with your art?
I feel it's irresponsible for artists of all types to not be realistic about life, and stop trying to paint over the shittiness and the lustfulness and confusion and maddening darkness of being a human. The Saturday Evening Post, Norman Rockwell American Dream, are days of the past. Without knowing the bad times you can never fully appreciate the good.

-If you had any advice for other aspiring artist what would it be?
First and foremost don't be afraid to show, start a blog and look to non-profit galleries, they're a great to cut your teeth. Second always make time to create. Lastly, have interests outside of art. When you focus on any one thing wholly it consumes you and that's when you start over thinking. Digest old movies and read books, volunteer occasionally, and take lots of walks. Get out there and actually live life to the fullest and pour yourself into everything you do. That's where real inspiration comes from. Take chances and make mistakes, pull love and writing and art out of yourself and give it away.


-Any other words?
I'm a fifth generation Colorado Native, I do a ton of shows so you can see more of my work on my art blog http://highartmeetslow.wordpress.com or like my Facebook page www.facebook.com/highartmeetslow.
I'm also the volunteer Art Curator for The Birdseed Collective a local DIY that specializes in open community art, music and fashion shows and community outreach helping at-risk youth become self sufficient through the arts.
www.birdseedcollective.com
We're currently working on a Benefit Fashion Show for Street-Kidz Youth Center in the Globeville community and we're working closely with some of the cats from Unit E and Rakun so it should be an amazing night. It will be held on the 21st of September at Exdo Hall and we still looking for a few more sponsors and vendors. You can find out more and get info here: www.fashionsmashbirdseed.com






No comments:

Post a Comment